Digital transformation is something businesses of all sizes need to adopt in today’s time. And as an outcome of this forever transformation, today’s digital services, products, and applications are a game-changer for organizations and end users. These applications are integrated with new and next-gen technologies. But the question is – how are these innovative applications developed?
Hence, this present-day product or app development is known as – Modern Application Development (MAD). And, as per the Forrester report, any vendor or application development company that helps innovative organizations enhance their development process provides the best modern application development services.
However, the app development market is growing at an unexpected pace. Hence, being toe-to-toe with the latest best practices of modern app development can be challenging sometimes. On a good note, by overcoming these challenges, organizations can ensure efficient and reliable apps that help accomplish the client’s needs. All you need to do this follow the modern application development best practices.
Curious to know?
In this article, I’ll introduce you to the best modern application development practices. Here, we’ll learn about the top modern application development best practices that every software developer should know and follow. From ensuring code quality to designing reliable architecture, this article will cover all the essential strategies to help developers simplify their development process and create an app that is exceptional and touches the highest standards.
What is Modern Application Development?
- Modern application development is a technique that allows you to innovate quickly utilizing cloud-native architectures with freely coupled microservices, built-in monitoring, DevOps support, AI (Artificial Intelligence), and managed databases. With the help of these modern applications, organizations can meet clients’ needs and follow changing market demands. These applications also help deliver highly personalized experiences and dynamic modifications for real-time responses. To acknowledge this, you can deploy custom application development services.
Now, let’s come to the heart of our article and learn about some best practices for developing modern applications.
Best Practices for Developing Modern Applications
Now that you understand what modern applications are, let’s now dive into some of the best modern app development practices that will help you in the design, deployment, and maintenance of a successful modern app:
- Build Platform Agnostic Applications – Do you understand what platform-agnostic apps are? Let me tell you -platform-agnostic apps are not bound to any certain platform or system and can run on different platforms similarly. You can run and execute them on different cloud platforms, like AWS (Amazon Web Services), Azure, and GCP, regardless of the provided language or platform used.
- Build a Culture of Ownership (and Encourage Innovation) – Innovation should start with your team members that create, run, and handle all the modern applications. Giving your team the ownership of the A-Z of the app lifecycle, starting from listening to client’s ideas, to building and operating the app, to planning the roadmap, encourages and empowers them to deliver the best customer outcomes Furthermore, it also motivates your team, opens the door to more better opportunities, and develop a trustworthy environment.
- Use CI/CD for Automating Release Pipeline – Microservices architecture is one of the best ways to enhance the pace of your app release cycle. Wondering how? It breaks down your app into smaller services, hence, microservices architecture delivers better flexibility and allows your development team to move quickly through the release pipeline.
Although when using manual processes, there are greater chances that your conventional release pipeline slows down, keeping your team from delivering new features and functionalities to clients faster. In this case, you need to automate every phase of the entire release process, from modifications in code to testing and implementation with the help of continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) processes.
- Build Apps Using Micro-Service-Based Design – Even though you have a strong culture of ownership, your company can still battle scaling the application architecture, keeping your development team from getting ownership of the outcome. Therefore, coming from a technical background, I would suggest using micro-service-based design to build modern applications rapidly and with next-gen features. Microservices architecture allows your development teams to utilize the best frameworks that are ideal for the product they are developing.
- Deploy Serverless Technologies – When you use serverless technologies, it becomes possible to build and handle apps and products without establishing and managing servers. Serverless solutions help organizations with the operational framework that allows businesses to pay for value, provides flexible scaling, eliminates server maintenance, and high availability of automation. The serverless technology frameworks make it possible to develop and handle application elements that provide terrific value to clients without stressing about the fundamental processes.
- Use Infrastructure as Code – Sometimes, it can get challenging to scale up the infrastructure flawlessly as the application scales. Businesses require a steady environment that can anytime grow or modify based on the needs of the app to retain all the functioning resources.
Furthermore, by modeling different app resources and infrastructure as code, your development team can modify resources with coding. Businesses can supply these resources to a safe, secure, repeatable approach using infrastructure as code, allowing them to build and restore the infrastructure and apps without having to execute manual operations or build customized scripts.
- Increase Observability to Improve Application Performance – Believe me when I say this, monitoring modern apps is more challenging and challenging than monitoring a monolithic app developed on-premises. Furthermore, using microservices adds additional complications when controlling modern applications in production, as it must check multiple things.
Eventually, organizations struggle to acquire a perfect and real-time application view. Hence, to experience faster solutions, you require full observability that needs traces, logs, and metrics, to give an in-depth analysis of metrics such as error rates, response times, etc.
Modern Application development provides an upper hand over by encouraging rapid innovation. Organizations can easily reassign resources from standard operations to distinguishing daily activities by changing their software delivery process, operational model, and architectural pattern using the best practices for modern application development. Organizations can try out different things and create releases rapidly which eventually empowers a culture where developers invest more time in development.
So, if you’re looking for modern application development solutions for your organization – I would suggest you opt for the best app development company. The experts can help streamline your specific business needs and requirements with the next-gen technologies and latest innovations, modernizing your applications with continuous testing, eventually delivering good ROI (return on investment).